Its Back to School Time!
Moore County schools are now open! School buses are once again traveling though Foxfire each morning and afternoon and where there’s buses…there’s children!
Here’s a few safety tips to keep our children and Village residents safe during the school year:
· If you're driving behind a bus, allow a greater following distance than if you were driving behind a car. It will give you more time to stop once the yellow lights start flashing. It is illegal in all 50 states to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children.
· Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you're on an undivided road – if it is stopped to load or unload children
· If the yellow or red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop
· The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them space to safely enter and exit the bus
· Be alert; children often are unpredictable, and they tend to ignore hazards and take risks
· Don't block crosswalks
· Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, and take extra care in school zones
· Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians